Last week, we talked about proper nourishment to improve our health both physically and spiritually. As we continue in this series, I want to talk about another way we can improve our physical and spiritual health. In both aspects of our health, it is essential to seek wise counsel.
Seek Wise Counsel Physically
Developing an exercise routine and weightlifting is not intuitive. It is difficult to know what exercises to do when, how much weight to use, and proper technique. If you embark on this journey without the proper knowledge, you may not see the desired results. Worse yet, improper technique, lifting too heavy of weights, or overdoing it can cause serious injury.
All this becomes more complicated when training for a specific sport, like rock climbing. Whether you are just trying to get in shape or training for something specific, understanding what is needed takes knowledge and experience. A personal trainer can develop a fitness plan specific to your needs. They can also teach proper technique, injury prevention and nutrition.
If working with a personal trainer is not in the budget, there are many resources available to help you reach your goals. Here are some inexpensive options when training for rock climbing:
- Crimpd App is a fitness tracker phone application that contains training programs and videos designed to help you improve everything from finger strength to footwork.
- The Self-Coached Climber, by Dan M. Hague and Douglas Hunter is one of my favorite books to learn the fundamentals of strength and technique for climbers.
- TrainingBeta.Com is a website dedicated to training and injury prevention for rock climbers. They have tons of resources available to help you in all things climbing. Their Podcast also has interviews with professional climbers, personal trainers, physical therapists and coaches.
Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance – Proverbs 1:5
Whatever method you choose, be wise and do not go it alone. Do the research or find a professional to get you started on your fitness journey.
Seek Wise Counsel Spiritually
Understanding scripture and applying it to your life is also not always intuitive. If you want to improve your spiritual health, you should surround yourself with wise counsel that can teach, admonish and inspire.
The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, for the ears of the wise seek it out. – Proverbs 18:5
My closest relationships and confidants are people who love Jesus, know scripture, and carry a faith that inspires me to be a better woman. Their guidance sustains me when I am weak, their wisdom helps me grow, and their friendship fills my life with joy.
My church family is also very important. Good biblical teaching should instruct, challenge, admonish and inspire. Belonging to a church family also gives you a sense of community, friendship, support, and accountability.
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” – Hebrews 10:24-25
Participating in bible studies, daily devotionals, online sermons, and podcasts are additional ways to learn from the wisdom of others. With the right resources, you can understand the Bible in profound ways, and apply it to your circumstances. Here are just a few of the many great resources available:
- Cornerstone Chapel is my former church in Virginia. I contribute the faith I have today to their teaching. They have a phone application, with an extensive online teaching library, that I still listen to regularly. They also live stream their midweek and Sunday services.
- Bethel Church has been my church family for the past five years. I always leave the services challenged and inspired. Their website has an online teaching library and live streaming services. They also have classes and life groups that can help you learn and build community. If you are looking for a church home, you are welcome to join me any time.
- Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) is a non-denominational international Bible study, guaranteed to help you grow in your faith, all while building relationships with other women. There is also childcare and a preschool program available. Visit their website for information about local meeting locations.
- Life Church Podcast contains the sermons from pastor Greg Groeshel at Life Church. His teachings are amazing. Life Church is a large church, with multiple campuses around the country, and the creators of the YouVersion Bible App. Side Note: If you are interested in incredible leadership training, check out Greg Groeshel’s leadership podcast.
- Victory Over the Darkness, by Neil Anderson, is one of many amazing books and bible studies that can help you improve your spiritual health. This book changed my life. Victory Over the Darkness helps you understand your identity in Christ, allowing you to let go of your past mistakes, burdens, losses and pain. In Christ we are made new, accepted, cherished, perfect daughters of our Heavenly Father. Knowing and believing this frees you to navigate through all of life’s circumstances from an entirely new perspective.
These are just a few examples of the countless resources available to glean from the wisdom of others. Surrounding yourself with Godly influencers and doing the research will help you grow closer to God and live out His calling for your life.
I instruct you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble. Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life. – Proverbs 4:11-13
Learning from more experienced individuals and utilizing available resources is a great way to improve your health and fitness, both physically and spiritually. The experience and knowledge of others can help you develop your own knowledge and skills. As you learn and grow, you will in turn share this wisdom with others. I hope these suggestions kick start a desire to surround yourself with wise influencers that can help you to learn and grow into the woman God has intended you to be.