Fall & Winter Plans
With Fall fast approaching, and cold weather looming, it is time to plan for the remainder of the year. While Bethel does have semesters, and breaks, our group meets year round. At each new Bethel semester, we will be publicising the group, and providing an opportunity to register. However, registration can happen at anytime throughout the year by contacting me at email@example.com. (Attendance at Bethel Assembly is not required)
September – October
During the Fall months, we will continue to meet in the Black Hills area for climbing. For the most part that will be the Wrinkled Rock area, as we did all summer. However, depending on the weather and number of participants, locations may change. For example, on cold or windy days, the 1880 Wall off Old Hill City Road or Falling Rock may be a great option.
Days and times may vary as the mornings start getting colder. The plan is to meet 9:30 – 4:00 at the Wrinkled Rock Parking Lot. Be sure to RSVP and check Facebook to ensure you are notified of changes.
At this time, childcare is not provided. If we are able to find two babysitters, we will offer childcare at Bethel Assembly.
November – February
For the Winter months, we will be alternating between traveling to the Campbell County Recreation Center, located in Gillette, WY and a study of, “Victory over the Darkness,” by Neil T. Anderson.
The Campbell County Rec center has a replica of Devils Tower in their lobby. This is a great climbing wall, and the only option for off season climbing. The rec center also has an amazing pool with lazy river and slides For the moms that might be bringing kids along, there will be about an hour for you to take your kids swimming prior to heading home. (There is a climbing gym in the works for Rapid City that should be available next winter!)
Dates & Cost:
- Dates: Every other Tuesday we will be traveling to Gillette for a climbing day. We will leave Rapid City at 7:00 from Hansen Memorial Park, returning no later than 3:30PM. Due to holidays and scheduled travel dates, there will be some weeks will not be meeting. See the Events Calendar for specific dates.
- Entrance Fee: Community Center Day Pass, $5.00 adult, $3:00 under 3. Family Pass: $11.00 (punch cards are available for a slight savings)
- Belay Certification: A certification class is required at a one time fee of $15. In order to belay at the center, this class is required.
- Babysitting: $5.00 per child, for a maximum of two hours. Less expensive punch cards are available, and can be used by multiple families.
- Gas for Travel: Gas is covered by our climbing ministry budget. To contribute to the climbing ministry please make donations to Bethel Assembly and earmark “Women’s Climbing Ministry.”
- Lunch: Bring your lunch and snacks with you. We will be eating at the facility prior to heading home
- Weather Considerations: During the Winter months, snowstorms can make traveling to Gillette difficult. Climbing days may be cancelled or rescheduled due to poor road conditions.
On our non climbing days, we will be discussing, “Victory Over the Darkness, Realize the Power of Your Identity in Christ” by Neil T. Anderson. This is one of those life changing books that turns the concept of your Identity in Christ from a head belief, to a heart knowledge. This book changed my life, and I am so excited for an opportunity to share this study with our group. My prayer is that the principles in this book will touch your life as much as it has touched mine.
- When: We will be meeting vary other Tuesday from 12:30 – 2:30. Due to holidays and scheduled travel dates, there will be some we will not be meeting. See the Events Calendar for specific dates
- Where: 4810 Riva Ridge Rd. Rapid City, SD 57702
- Snacks: Coffee, drinks, and treats will be available for both children and adults. Please make sure your kids have lunch prior to the bible study.
- Childcare: Childcare will be available at my house for no charge. (We are in the process of looking for babysitting
- Study Guide: There is a study guide available, but not required to purchase. I will be using the guide to facilitate group discussion.
NOTE: MEETING TIME MAY CHANGE DUE TO AVAILABILITY OF CHILDCARE
March & April
Due to extensive travel and iffy weather, we will most likely be taking a two month break for the months of March and April. As the time gets closer, plans for these two months will be discussed with the group.
Summer Climbing Group Wrap Up
As I ponder over this past summer, I am amazed at all that God has done with our Bethel Assembly Women’s Climbing Group. I am in awe of the progress you women have made, and am so proud of each and every one of you. MOXY is the term we have been using. Dare I say you are all beasts!
This year most of the women in our group had never climbed before. We have had ages 15 – 60 attend, and from all walks of life. Some have suffered trauma, some are fighting physical conditions and diseases, while others are dealing heavy burdens and heavy hearts. For each of us, God has used climbing to meet our needs, bring us comfort, and physically challenge us way outside our comfort zone.
Favorite Quotes this summer:
- Follow the bolts
- Trust Me, and let go
- An inch is a cinch, a yard is hard
- Don’t tell Pastor Keith
- Trust your feet!
- You’ve got Moxy!
- I’m repelling! (insert jazz hands here)
- Do you have anything harder to climb?
- Let’s not forget…. All the laughter and our wonderful crag dog Iris.
I am overjoyed every time I see one of your fight through a challenge, solve the problem, and make your way to the top of the rock. Never in a million years did I think that by the end of this summer a few of you would be lead climbing and I would be teaching anchor systems! I am blessed and honored to know each and every one of you.